Every building should have emergency exit routes and fire exits, otherwise known as the ‘means of escape.’ A fire exit is there so that in an emergency, people can move directly to a place of safety. These should be easily accessible, well lit and have clear signage.
There are a few unusual types of fire escapes. Here are some examples:
- This looks more like a rubbish chute than a fire escape, but this was definitely in use for a period of time in Nebraska! This is not in use anymore as it was deemed unsafe and has subsequently been replaced with a more practical means of escape.
- This is a half-pipe fire escape chute in Texas. Look at how steep this chute is, this would have definitely made for a quick escape, but how safe is this really?
- Another example of a half-pipe chute in Oregon. It’s easy to imagine this would be tempting for thrill-seekers to use even when it’s not an emergency situation!
4. This spiral fire escape chute in Shanghai is more unusual than the others, it folds away when not in use and is located inside the building. A quick and efficient means of escape!
5. This one may look frightening, but is actually still in use at the Whiteman Air Force Base in Missouri.
These were a few examples of some astonishing evacuation routes, some of which are still in use today. However, there are more simple and practical solutions. If you’re unsure what to do regarding fire safety regulations, this is where we come in. We’re here to help.
You might also like
Smart tech products can now be found in most homes, but how can this digital progression help to modernise the fire industry?
It’s important to address the use and maintenance of fire doors. Fire doors can become damaged with regular use. Our checklist covers the basics of what to look out for to make sure your fire doors are safe and compliant.
Dame Judith Hackitt suggests that businesses should be more transparent for accountability purposes. This bought about the introduction of the Golden Thread of information. Read our blog to find out more about what it is and how can it help keep your business compliant.